[torqueusers] qstat via ssh port forwarding

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Oct 25 13:27:40 MDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 01:51:18PM -0400, Kevin Van Workum alleged:
> I'm trying to run qstat on my localhost to query a pbs_server on a
> remote cluster. I have ssh access to the 'login' server on the remote
> cluster. The pbs_server is running on separate machine (torque) at the
> remote site. I can run 'qstat @torque' from the remote login server.
> My question is how do I setup the port forwarding correctly to get
> qstat to run on my local machine. I tried the following but it doesn't
> work even though tcpdump show the packets reaching the pbs_server
> machine (torque). Maybe I'm using the wrong port or need to forward
> some more ports?
>
> For example:
>
> [kevin at localhost cmds]$ ssh -L 15001:torque:15001 -N login &
> [1] 9133
> [kevin at localhost cmds]$ ./qstat @localhost
> No Permission.
> qstat: cannot connect to server localhost (errno=15007)

This isn't going to happen.  The authentication requires setuid root programs binding to priviledged ports to verify usernames.  Port forwarding is going to muck this up.

Just do the simple 'ssh login qstat @torque' and be done with it.