[torqueusers] Hardening of Opteron Scyld GigE Cluster

Gordon Golding gordon.golding at colorado.edu
Tue Oct 23 16:04:20 MDT 2007

I'm getting : Opteron Scyld GigE Cluster   from Penguin

Running Scyld and Torque.

When I read about it, it says that all the messaging is done via demons
_server to _mom, so there is no need to worry about things like rsh or scp
being needed.

But then I see things like this, in archives:
.....> It appears to be some kind of permissions error
My guess would have to be that PBS is trying to copy those jobs back via rcp

or scp and that side of things hasn't been set up correctly..

Certainly with our Torque builds I always use:

        ./configure  --with-scp

to make sure it doesn't try and use rcp (even though rcp is just a symlink

scp on our boxes).

As part of hardening, like the folks above, I get rid of things like rcp.
And I make sure the net parameters can't do forward and redirect, along with
many other things.

But I'm worried I'll break the "communication" between server and compute
nodes

Thoughts?

Gordon Golding

Center for Innovation and Creativity