[torqueusers] HELP: scheduling out of order

scoggins jscoggins at lbl.gov
Wed Oct 17 14:10:44 MDT 2007

On Oct 17, 2007, at 1:02 PM, Garrick Staples wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 10:33:34AM -0700, scoggins alleged:
>> I have a user who is submitting several jobs - one at a time.  The
>> starttimes are showing up with 99:07:30:06 using
>> the showstart command.  Some of the other jobs are running but they
>> were submitted afterwards.
>
> You've got 2 things going on here.  The first is that the weird
> starttime is
> because users aren't requesting a walltime and/or your torque
> config doesn't
> have a default or max walltime, this causes Maui to assume a
> maximum possible
> walltime.  Each job will then appear to reserve resources for 100
> days or until
> they exit (whihever comes first).
>
> The second thing is that jobs aren't starting the way you expect.
> See if
> 'checkjob' gives a reason.

Checked that and it does not.

I was reading someway that it might have something to do with
fairshare.  Jobs won't start because
depending on when they were checked the priority was changed.

"The most likely reason for this to happen is that your priority is
lower than other users based on the 7 day historical usage of our
fairshare policy.  To find out when a job is predicted to run, use
the showstart <jobID> command where <jobID> is the job ID number for
your job."

That is why I ran showstart and saw the weird time.  The users do not
want time limits set and they don't want to have to specify walltime
on their jobs.  What could I do then if it is the same user competing
for the resource.

Thanks

Jackie