[torqueusers] HELP: scheduling out of order

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Oct 17 14:02:35 MDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 10:33:34AM -0700, scoggins alleged:
> I have a user who is submitting several jobs - one at a time.  The
> starttimes are showing up with 99:07:30:06 using
> the showstart command.  Some of the other jobs are running but they
> were submitted afterwards.

You've got 2 things going on here.  The first is that the weird starttime is
because users aren't requesting a walltime and/or your torque config doesn't
have a default or max walltime, this causes Maui to assume a maximum possible
walltime.  Each job will then appear to reserve resources for 100 days or until
they exit (whihever comes first).

The second thing is that jobs aren't starting the way you expect.  See if
'checkjob' gives a reason.