[torqueusers] resources_default.neednodes ignored?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Oct 10 09:19:55 MDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 01:47:01PM +0200, Jan Ploski alleged:
> Hello,
>
> I would like jobs from the queue dgipar_ib to only be assigned to nodes
> with attribute "ib". Based on what I read in archives of this mailing
> list, I set resources_default.neednodes = ib, in hope that a specification
> like -l nodes=1 would be automatically converted to -l nodes=1:ib (is this
> the intended effect of this option? is the effect even specified
> anywhere?). Alas, it doesn't work. Jobs submitted to the queue are (also)
> assigned to nodes that lack the "ib" attribute. Restarting pbs_server,
> maui did not help.
>
> I'm also wondering, if everything worked as expected, should qstat -f on
> the job show (as it does):
>
>     Resource_List.nodes = 1
>
> or should it give me
>
>     Resource_List.nodes = 1:ib
>
> My configuration is TORQUE 2.1.6 and Maui 3.2.6p19. I found an earlier
> report from 2004 which attributed the problem to a bug in Maui, which has
> been supposedly fixed.
>
> Your help is appreciated!

Resource_List.nodes won't be changed.  The job's nodes resource isn't "converted".

Maui reads the queue's neednodes resource and assigns nodes accordingly.  Try
adding an empty CLASSCFG for dgipar_ib to maui.cfg.  e.g., add
"CLASSCFG[dgipar_ib]" to maui.cfg.