[torqueusers] disabling direct access to compute nodes

Bas van der Vlies basv at sara.nl
Fri Oct 5 08:47:32 MDT 2007

Markus Seto wrote:
> Hi, I've recently started fiddling with a torque installation, and was
> wondering if it's possible to disable direct access to the compute nodes
> from the master node.  I've noticed some users cheating the system and
> directly logging into compute nodes to run jobs, and I want to force
> them to use the queue system, but I was told that direct access with ssh
> keys is needed for torque to run.  any ideas?
>
> markus

Depends on which version you run there are two solutions:
  * use the pam module: pam_pbssimpleauth.so. It is in the standard torque
installation. It only gives access to a node if a user has a job running on
the node.
  * in the contrib directory of torque there is a file: README.pam_authuser

We use the first one: pam_pbssimpleauth.so.

Regards