[torqueusers] specifying nodes and ppn: what is expected?

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Fri Nov 30 11:04:47 MST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 12:55 PM, Gabe Turner <gabe at msi.umn.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 12:40:02PM -0500, Sean Davis wrote:
> >    I have a simple cluster (two nodes for now) set up and running using
> >    pbs_sched.  I submit the following using qsub as a script:
> >
> >    #!/bin/bash
> >    # --- send the job to 4 nodes, with 2 processors per node
> >    # PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=4
>      ^
>      ^
> That space right there is going to prevent torque from recognizing that as
> a resource request.  It will just ignore it as a comment.

Thanks, Gabe.  Fixed that.  Now, with the corrected script:
#!/bin/bash
# --- send the job to 2 nodes, with 4 processors per node
#PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=4

I get:

sdavis at shakespeare:~> qsub stuff.sh
555.shakespeare.nci.nih.gov
sdavis at shakespeare:~> more test.out
shakespeare.nci.nih.gov
shakespeare.nci.nih.gov
shakespeare.nci.nih.gov
shakespeare.nci.nih.gov
Print out the hostname and date
shakespeare
Fri Nov 30 12:59:01 EST 2007

I would have expected something like this (which I get with the node names
specified):

sdavis at shakespeare:~> qsub stuff.sh
556.shakespeare.nci.nih.gov
sdavis at shakespeare:~> more test.out
pressa.nci.nih.gov
pressa.nci.nih.gov
pressa.nci.nih.gov
pressa.nci.nih.gov
shakespeare.nci.nih.gov
shakespeare.nci.nih.gov
shakespeare.nci.nih.gov
shakespeare.nci.nih.gov
Print out the hostname and date
pressa
Fri Nov 30 13:03:15 EST 2007

Shakespeare is the submit host, the server, and is also a compute node.

Thanks again,
Sean