[torqueusers] suppressing output using /dev/null causes null to be removed

Michael Gutteridge mgutteri at fhcrc.org
Mon Nov 26 12:08:32 MST 2007

I have a user who was trying to suppress all output by specifying
"-o /dev/null -e /dev/null" when submitting using qsub.

This led to an interesting situation.  The queue he is using is
preempt-able, and it appears that when a job is preempted, /dev/null is
removed.  I was able to reproduce this by submitting a job with output
and error directed to /dev/null then using "qrerun" to re-queue the job.

This doesn't happen when the job is allowed to run to completion or when
removed with qdel or stopped with qsig.  Re-queuing seems to be the only
circumstance where this happens.  /dev/null appears to be the only file
where this works (e.g. specifying /etc/hosts or similar doesn't seem to
cause the file to be removed- bit of a relief there).

So, two part question:
     1. What's the best way to discard output and error completely?
     2. Is this behavior fixed in a later release and I just missed it?

Thanks all...

Michael

--
Before enlightenment, chop wood, haul water.
After enlightenment, chop wood, haul water.