[torqueusers] Problem getting job info with job arrays

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 07:49:37 MST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 11:54 AM, Ari Pollak <aripollak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Under Torque 2.2.1, if I run "qsub -t 6 ..." to create a job array, it
> gets queued & runs properly, but I can't seem to access information
> about the array as a whole or just the subjobs.
>
> % qsub -t 6 script.sh
> 9443.englab01.example.com
> % qstat
> Job id                    Name             User            Time Use S Queue
> ------------------------- ---------------- --------------- -------- - -----
> 9443-1.englab01           script.sh            apollak
> 0 R pipelineQ
> 9443-2.englab01           script.sh            apollak
> 00:00:00 R pipelineQ
> 9443-3.englab01           script.sh            apollak
> 00:00:00 R pipelineQ
> 9443-4.englab01           script.sh            apollak
> 00:00:15 R pipelineQ
> 9443-5.englab01           script.sh            apollak
> 00:00:26 E pipelineQ
> % qstat -f 9443-5
> qstat: Unknown Job Id 9443-5.englab01.example.com
> % qstat -f 9443
> qstat: Unknown Job Id 9443.englab01.example.com
>
> If I qdel the job ID (9443), it gets killed, but only after I get this
> message: "qdel: Unauthorized Request  MSG=operation not permitted
> 9443.example.com"
>
> Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Hi Ari,  Sorry this has taken so long - I was away at SC and then for
the recent U.S. holiday

can you give me a little info about your setup?  What is your OS and version?

in your example qstat -f 9443-5 works perfectly for me

I don't see the "Unauthorized Request" on my Linux development
machine.   I was able to reproduce it on an OS X box, but that had
some configuration issues. I will fix the torque configuration and see
if the error persists. It may only happen when jobs are in certain
states.  Right now I am thinking the problem has to do with a job
being in the "E" state.  Can you confirm that you only get the
Unauthorized Request message if one of the jobs is in the "E" state?