[torqueusers] can I add to the walltime of a running job?

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 17:56:22 MDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Peter Wyckoff <wyckoff at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> I want the ability to change the walltime of a running job in
> torque/maui so as to extend its time --- i.e., kind like a renew of the
> job's lease.
>
> is that possible?
>
> I could use qalter -l walltime=newtime+same_resources  but qalter is not
> defined for a job already running.

qalter allows you to change some things while a job is running.   It
will allow you to set a shorter walltime.  If you set a longer
walltime, it will look like it was changed but it will be ignored.  If
it allowed someone to increase the walltime it would have a big
potential for abuse.  I suppose only allowing operators and managers
to increase the walltime might not be a bad thing.