[torqueusers] Trouble running jobs with TORQUE

aohara at haverford.edu aohara at haverford.edu
Mon Mar 26 15:48:45 MDT 2007

Hi,
We just recently began setting up a linux cluster here at Haverford
College using TORQUE and Maui.  The general specs are 6 blades with two
dual core AMD opterons, 16 gb ram, and a head node with a similar
processor setup.
Over the past week, we installed TORQUE (and Maui), however TORQUE seems
to be having trouble running jobs.
Running 'pbsnodes -a' reports correctly on the state of all nodes and if
neither pbs_sched or Maui are running then qstat shows jobs labeled Q, as
expected.  However, when either pbs_sched or Maui are running, the jobs
don't seem to be running properly.  I tried submitting both the test
phrase `echo "sleep 30" | qsub' and a script `qsub testjob' where testjob
is a script containing `python myprogram.py'.  All necessary python
packages are installed too, so I know this isn't the problem (I've
manually ran the python code on all nodes).  The reason I suspect some
form of TORQUE error is that this job also completes immediately, even tho
it should take roughly 20 minutes to run.  The tracejob output for one is
here (both are basically the same though):

03/26/2007 17:25:17  S    enqueuing into batch, state 1 hop 1
03/26/2007 17:25:17  S    Job Queued at request of administrator at babbage,
owner
                          = administrator at babbage, job name = testjob.sh,
queue
                          = batch
03/26/2007 17:25:18  S    Job Modified at request of root at babbage
03/26/2007 17:25:18  S    Job Run at request of root at babbage
03/26/2007 17:25:18  S    Job Modified at request of root at babbage
03/26/2007 17:25:18  S    Exit_status=-1
03/26/2007 17:25:18  S    Post job file processing error
03/26/2007 17:25:18  S    dequeuing from batch, state COMPLETE

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.  If you need any more
information about our cluster hardward/software setup just ask.

Thanks,
Andy O'Hara
Haverford College Physics '09