[torqueusers] Allocating resources by CPUs

Garrick Staples garrick at clusterresources.com
Tue Mar 13 09:16:14 MDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 07:48:26AM -0400, Thomas H Dr Pierce alleged:
> Dear Torque MLs,
>
> Is this a resource management issue or a scheduling issue? eg is it part
> of what TORQUE should do , or a policy statement that MAUI should be
> doing? I have always be somewhat puzzled and wondered which system
> actually selects the specific nodes to use in a job run.

It's both because pbs_server keeps track of assigned "vnodes".

pbs_server has it's own resource allocator internally.  When you use
pbs_sched or 'qrun', you are using pbs_server's allocator.  pbs_sched
merely determines when and which job will run next, leaving it up to
pbs_server to figure out which nodes to assign.

maui/moab take a different approach and do the resource scheduling *and*
node assignment; passing the node list back to pbs_server when starting
the job.  This is equivalent to using qrun's -H option.

As far as determining the meaning of "nodes" versus "nodes:ppn", that's
up to maui.