[torqueusers] Allocating resources by CPUs

Thomas H Dr Pierce TPierce at rohmhaas.com
Tue Mar 13 05:48:26 MDT 2007

Dear Torque MLs,

Is this a resource management issue or a scheduling issue? eg is it part
of what TORQUE should do , or a policy statement that MAUI should be
doing? I have always be somewhat puzzled and wondered which system
actually selects the specific nodes to use in a job run.

With my Torque/Maui simple setup, I seem to be able to submit
Case 1) PBS -l nodes=4 and get four separate nodes, then Case 2)  PBS -l
nodes=2:ppn=2 and I get two nodes with two processors on each node.

Now I havee not run these cases under a large variety of cluster
workloads, so it might be an accident of the specific workload when I
submit these cases.
------
Sincerely,

   Tom Pierce

"Glen Beane" <glen.beane at gmail.com>
Sent by: torqueusers-bounces at supercluster.org
03/13/2007 07:20 AM

"Chris Samuel" <csamuel at vpac.org>
cc
torquedev at supercluster.org, torqueusers at supercluster.org
Subject
Re: [torqueusers] Allocating resources by CPUs

On 3/13/07, Chris Samuel <csamuel at vpac.org> wrote:

> At one stage I suggested a '-l cpus=x' option to disambiguate the
problem, but
> I can't find which list I suggested it on and I don't recall ever
getting a
> response..

I agree that we should add a '-l cpus=x'  option to torque