[torqueusers] Documentation for "managers" and "operators" capabilities

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Mon Mar 5 00:16:15 MST 2007

Hi folks,

I've had a quick hunt through the Torque sources and Googled around and can't
find a description of the different capabilities of the users permitted access through
the Torque "operators" and "managers" ACLs in the server config.

The admin guide helpfully says:

managers
     Defines which users, at a specified host, are granted batch system administrator privi-
     lege. For example, to grant privilege to ‘‘me’’ at all systems on the sub-domain and
     ‘‘sam’’ only from this system, big, then:
              s s managers=me@*.foo.bar.com,sam at big.foo.bar.com
operators
     Defines which users, at a specified host, are granted batch system operator privilege.
     Specified as are the managers.

and:

10. Log onto the system as root and define yourself to pbs_server as a manager by typing:
            # qmgr
            Qmgr: set server managers=your_name at your_host
    From this point, you no longer need root privilege. Note, "your_host" can be any host on
    which PBS’ qmgr command is installed. You can now configure and manage a remote
    batch system from the comfort of your own workstation.

But that's about it..  am I being blind ?   (My guess is yes)

cheers,
Chris