[torqueusers] max queues

Sam Rash srash at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Mar 1 12:14:39 MST 2007

Still confused...
In qmgr, you have some set of:

# Create and define queue test
create queue test
set queue test queue_type = Execution
set queue test Priority = 0
set queue test resources_default.nodect = 1
set queue test resources_default.nodes = 1
set queue test keep_completed = 4800
set queue test enabled = True
set queue test started = True

varying of course, but one per queue in TORQUE.  Now you say you have 67 of
these in torque, but when use maui's showconfig:

maui has at least one line it autocreates per torque queue at startup:

CLASSCFG[test]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[NONE]

For me, see:

$ qmgr -c 'p s' |grep -c 'create queue'
22

So 22 torque queues.  Now I check maui:

$ showconfig | grep -ci classcfg
15

This simple count works because we don't add any manual special parameters
to each class such as 'preemptor' or 'preemptee' and such.  We'll have one
'classcfg[queue_name]' line per queue.

So what you say that I don't get is how maui is the one with more queues.
So ok somehow you got 67 queues in torque and it didn't die like dave said
it should at 32 (prolly upgraded to 64 given garrick's use).  I understand.

Now how did you get 72 maui queues?  Assuming maui had no max, it'd take the
torque and add 3, or 67 torque/user queues  +3 = 70 queues. (or in our case,
takes top/random 13 and we get 15 queues with some reserved classs).

I guess there's no point in really following this down....I know how to fix
our immediate problem.  Garrick has given me confidence we can do 64 (61
user queues in torque then) and I think that'll scale us until moab kicks
in)

Thanks all who responded.

-sr

Sam Rash