[torqueusers] definition of "master" and "head"

Craig Macdonald craigm at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Tue Jun 26 03:30:18 MDT 2007

In some context, my understanding is that
 * master is the node which controls the cluster, eg that runs the
pbs_server
 * head is a node onto which the uses logon to submit jobs. This is
often the
    same node as the master node, but not always
In torque,
 * the first node in an MPI (or multi-node) job is the Mother Superior
    while the other nodes in the job are called it's sisters

Regards