[torqueusers] RFC: job-state diagram

Paul Millar p.millar at physics.gla.ac.uk
Tue Jun 19 09:24:57 MDT 2007

On Monday 18 June 2007 21:35, Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 05:57:56PM +0100, Paul Millar alleged:
> > I've been trying to understand Torque and, in particular, both the
> > semantics of the different job states and under what conditions a job
> > will change state.
>
> Note that job states are defined in IEEE 1003.1,
>
> http://www.unix.org/single_unix_specification/
>
> Shell & Interfaces -> Batch Environment Services

Thanks for the information, it was very useful.

There are some details that 1003.1 leaves as implementation-specific; for
example, job states when in routing queue.  Also, Torque deviates from IEEE
1003.1 by including an extra state "suspended".

Since I'm interested in Torque, I'd tried to include the
implementation-specific transitions and extra states rather than follow the
more generic 1003.1.

Anyway, I've updated the diagram.  The latest version is available from:
	http://ppewww.physics.gla.ac.uk/~paul/torque-jobs.pdf

Cheers,

Paul.