[torqueusers] still having modules environment / Torque shell interaction problems

David Backeberg david.backeberg at case.edu
Thu Jun 14 09:16:00 MDT 2007

On 6/14/07, Garrick Staples <garrick at clusterresources.com> wrote:
> How does that work?  How is a function exportable?
>
> I see 'export -f' in the bash help and manpage, but I don't understand
> how a function could be inherited by a child process.

If you're asking "how does bash manage exports?" I don't know. I
assume bash has some kind of global bookkeeping that it reviews when
spawning a new shell.
I simply noticed that the variables that were exported were making it
into the Torque shell but not the command, so I thought I would try
exporting the modules() function. When I did this, it solved my
problem. I admit I had never heard of exporting bash functions before
I too read the export man page. I tried export with no arguments and
then the man page said I needed to use -f.

Hope this helps,
Dave