[torqueusers] Memory requests

Lloyd Brown somewhere_or_other at byu.edu
Wed Jun 13 08:57:18 MDT 2007

We were just looking at this the other day at my work, and I think we
decided that, at least with Moab on top of Torque, the "mem=" syntax was
for the whole thing, meaning the sum of all the memory for all
processes.  When, for example, we requested "nodes=4:ppn=1,mem=1000mb",
Moab showed that 250 MB of memory was reserved on each of the four
nodes.  We decided that "pmem=" might actually be more useful for our
users; since it requests the maximum amount of memory *per process*, the
scheduler reserved that amount on each node.  So, for example, when we
requested "nodes=4:ppn=1,pmem=1000mb", then a full 1000MB was reserved
on each node.

I hope this is clear.

Lloyd Brown