[torqueusers] Any nodes available submission

Lennart Karlsson Lennart.Karlsson at nsc.liu.se
Thu Jun 7 03:41:06 MDT 2007

Dear Walid,

You wrote:
> How can i tell torque to use all nodes available, or any nodes
> available of type X, our users would like to submit jobs to the
> maximum nodes available regardless of which node is down or taken
> offline, and they do not want to bother with the -l nodes=NN

If you use Maui or Moab as your job scheduler, you can ask
the users to run the command

        showbf

that tells how many nodes that are free and for how long time
they are free.

After reading that output, your users can choose the best number
of nodes and the best walltime setting for their job.

I do not know any automatic way to do this but think that you
might write a launch script that does exactly what you want.
(The only problem is that some other job might sneak in between
the "showbf" run and the job submission, so you may have to
relaunch your job a couple of times before you succeed to get
it to start at once.)

Nearly all of the applications we run here cannot fit on any
choice of walltime and number of nodes, so I have difficulties
understanding your scenario.

E.g., are your nodes most of the time free, i.e. without job
reservations? Can your users accept that the job is queued
for some time before job start? Do your users want to run jobs
with infinite walltime settings? If you can get the users to
set the walltime limit and number of nodes, and accept to wait
for jobs to start, you are able to utilize your nodes much better,
i.e. you may save money.

Best regards,
   http://www.nsc.liu.se