[torqueusers] torque client install script problem

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Jul 18 13:17:52 MDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 10:13:52AM -0500, Adams, Samuel D Contr AFRL/HEDR alleged:
> I am trying to install torque to my clients, but the
> torque-package-clients-linux-x86_64.sh script keeps on dieing.  I am
> installing on RHEL5 nodes.
>
> [root at prodnode3 torque-2.1.8]# ./torque-package-clients-linux-x86_64.sh
> --install --verbose
>
> Installing TORQUE archive...
>
> tail: cannot open `+157' for reading: No such file or directory
>
> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> setting file user and group ownerships
> tail: cannot open `+157' for reading: No such file or directory
>
> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> Done.
> [root at prodnode3 torque-2.1.8]#
>
> >From the best I could find by searching the Internet, it seems the
> possible problem is that the script is trying to use some kind of
> deprecated option for tail hence the "+157" error.  Hopefully someone
> else has seen this problem and knows the workaround.

Bleh.  Now we have multiple incompatible 'tail' options on different
platforms.

Edit buildutils/self-extract-head-sh.in, and replace the 4 instances of
'tail +$SKIP' with 'tail -n +$SKIP', re-run configure and make.

I'll figure out another way to do this.

University of Southern California