[torqueusers] Cluster with diff perf.

nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com
Wed Jul 11 15:04:15 MDT 2007

Albert,

Fudging out the number of cpu's on nodes is probably bad mojo, and most of
what you're worried about will be taken care of by the fact that jobs will
come back from your fast node faster, meaning more jobs will be run on
that.  However, if you want to weight that jobs go to faster nodes first,
you can do that with Moab, by specifying the SPEED parameter for nodes
(check nodeattributes in the Moab/Maui docs) to be a relative value (this
machine is 3x faster than that one).  Then if you use a PRIORITY based
node allocation policy to care about the speed of  nodes.  Then you can
twiddle the order that nodes are selected (start 2 jobs on the fast node
before you start 1 on the slow node) to you hearts content by messing with
the priority function (eg
www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/5.2nodeallocation.shtml#PRIORITY).

The docs look like the same is possible with Maui, but I've got no
experience with that.

Nate

"Albert Shih" <Albert.Shih at obspm.fr>
Sent by: torqueusers-bounces at supercluster.org
11-Jul-2007 16:18
Please respond to Albert.Shih at obspm.fr

torqueusers at supercluster.org
cc

Subject
Re: [torqueusers] Cluster with diff perf.

 Le 11/07/2007  11:38:09-0700, Garrick Staples a écrit
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:35:20PM +0200, Albert Shih alleged:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Maybe my question is very stupid.
> >
> > I've a small cluster with differents kind of hardware. Of course with
> > differents perf.
> >
> > How/where in Torque/Maui (maybe it's in maui with opaque variable ?) I
can
> > configure this difference between my server ? Is the $cputmult
variable I
> > must use ?

Thanks for you answer.

> $cputmult is just used for CPU time accounting.
>
> What did you actually want to change?

Well, suppose I've 1 server with 1 CPU at 3.5Ghz and another with 1 CPU at
1 Ghz. Now I want submit 4 jobs I don't want 2 job on each server, but I
want 3 on the first and 1 on the second. Because I considere 3 job on the
fast server and 1 on the old server can be finish (all of them) more
faster than 2 on each.

Sorry for my english.

Regards.

--