[torqueusers] Cannot submit jobs (2.1.8)

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Jul 11 12:31:57 MDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 06:23:42PM +0000, Hans Meier alleged:

> >   Maybe there is an error in it. Under which user did you build the package?
> >   I just tested the build process and pbs_iff is setuid root.
>
> I built it as root.

Bad bad, software should not be built as root :)

But in this case it wouldn't matter who it was *built* as, the 'make
install' will always set the setuid bit.

These problems always come from one of the following:
  1) install to nfs with root squash
  2) manually copying around files
  3) packaging that doesn't do 'make install'
  4) packaging that drops the setuid bit

The 4th is common with initial RPM specs because rpmbuild won't pick up
setuid unless you specifically mark the file as such.

University of Southern California