[torqueusers] gaussian cput vs walltime problem

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Fri Jul 6 11:32:26 MDT 2007

We have a 8 core sun x4600 managed by torque.
We have a user running gaussian on it (a threaded chemistry code)

There is problems between the resorces_used.cput and walltime  For
example:

[root at nyx dta_ipas-pancreas]# qstat -f 504714 | grep res
      resources_used.cput = 303:45:44
      resources_used.mem = 62955004kb
      resources_used.vmem = 63221752kb
      resources_used.walltime = 21:58:56

Its a 8 core machine but the cput  vs the wall time  is 13.8x  the
wall time.  How can that be?  It should never be more than 8x's  the
walltime.

   Any insight into what could cause this would help.  We use the cpu
times reported by pbs to do some basic performance monitoring (bad
pbs scripts swapping etc).  And these scripts make the assumption
that cputime  can not be more than ncpu*walltime.

Thanks!

Brock Palen
Center for Advanced Computing
brockp at umich.edu