[torqueusers] cput statistic not correct for some jobs

Martin Schafföner martin.schaffoener at e-technik.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Jan 24 10:38:50 MST 2007

Hi,

I've noticed some weird behavior / possible bug in torque regarding the cput
statistic of some jobs. If we have a job that has a number of tasks spawned
through mpiexec/TM which keep running for a "long" time, the statistics
reported by qstat seem to be correct. However, some jobs launch many tasks
consecutively (also through mpiexec). It probably is not the envisaged
usage pattern to have one job with, say, 8 processors launch hundreds or
thousands of tasks, which may only be running for a few seconds or minutes,
through TM, but hey :-)

I logged through the concerned moms and noticed that e.g. cput_sum() is
called regularly, apparently through a poll interval, and when a task is
finished (from scan_for_terminated()), and it does collect significant cpu
time. However, qstat only reports minimal cput usage even though the job's
nodes have constantly been busy.

Can anybody explain this behavior?

Regards,
--
Martin Schafföner

Cognitive Systems Group, Institute of Electronics, Signal Processing and
Communication Technologies, Department of Electrical Engineering,
Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg
Phone: +49 391 6720063
PGP-Public-Key:
http://ca.uni-magdeburg.de/certs/pgp0Cschaffoener64D8BEC0.asc