[torqueusers] random node selection using maui?

Garrick Staples garrick at clusterresources.com
Fri Feb 9 00:24:57 MST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 06:07:06PM -0800, Peter Wyckoff alleged:

> Ok. One quick question. Let's say I have a 10,000 node cluster, so 250
> racks and I want 1,000 machines, 4 from each rack (preferably). Will
> torque and maui perform ok with this big a scheduling constraint?
>
> And if I tested with 25 machines but with 250 artificial properties to
> constrain against, would this be a somewhat representative test at scale?
>
> thanks, pete

>From my own experience, I can only speak up to the ~2000 node range and
TORQUE and Maui are fine.  Lots of jobs can make Maui cranky, but it is
fine with lots of nodes.

I don't think Maui scales up to 10k nodes by default.  There is probably
a define that has to be bumped up.  Of course, I'm sure Moab does this
stuff without breaking a sweat.