[torqueusers] random node selection using maui?

Garrick Staples garrick at clusterresources.com
Thu Feb 8 16:35:18 MST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 02:29:13PM -0800, Peter Wyckoff alleged:

> Hi Lennart,
>
> the randomization goal is to have the computation on as many different
> physical racks as possible.  This is for data locality (i.e., latency)
> and IO bandwidth scaling for a distributed file system.
>
> The other way we are looking at is, just like you proposed, having a
> node property called rackid-XXXX where XXXX = the subnet and then when
> doing qsubs, requesting N/#racks of each rack type as a scheduling
> preference.
>
> I was thinking that if there were a way to be completely random (pseudo
> random :)), we could get the same effect.

The 'ordered' scheduling in maui is largely based on the order in
pbs_server's nodes file.  You could just presort them there and then let
maui work as normal.

So the nodes file would basicly be something like this (assuming 3 racks
with 40 nodes per rack):

node001 rackid1
node041 rackid2
node081 rackid3