[torqueusers] random node selection using maui?

Peter Wyckoff wyckoff at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Feb 8 15:29:13 MST 2007

Hi Lennart,

the randomization goal is to have the computation on as many different
physical racks as possible.  This is for data locality (i.e., latency)
and IO bandwidth scaling for a distributed file system.

The other way we are looking at is, just like you proposed, having a
node property called rackid-XXXX where XXXX = the subnet and then when
doing qsubs, requesting N/#racks of each rack type as a scheduling
preference.

I was thinking that if there were a way to be completely random (pseudo
random :)), we could get the same effect.

pete