[torqueusers] Submiting jobs to multicore/processor nodes

carlos vasco carles.vasco at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 03:15:10 MST 2007

Dear all,

We have a cluster with SMP/dual core nodes, each one has two processors with
two cores each. In the nodes file we have 4 virtual processors defined.

We use to submit 2,4 and 6 processes jobs, and we find more efficient to
pack the jobs into a node, because of our slow network.
The 2 and 4 cases are easy and we put in our scritpt:

#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=2
#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=4

but the case of 6, we would like to run 4 in one node and 2 in other node,
doesn't run. We, following the man page, put:
#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=4+ppn=2

Any idea of how to impose that configuration?

We have torque 2.0.0p8-3 and maui 3.2.6p14-4, and the cluster has been
installed by means of Oscar 5.0.

Regards,
Carlos