[torqueusers] Maui/Torque and Fairshare with secondary Unix groups

Bas van der Vlies basv at sara.nl
Mon Dec 10 07:05:34 MST 2007

In our old setup the primary user group was the same as the fairshare group
in Maui. so we did not have any problems with the Fairshare (FS) setup.

We are now switching to a new User administration system and use the Linux
setup. Every user has as primary group his own group (user: bas, group: bas).

I have read some docs and the problem is that torque only sent the primary
group to Maui. There are several setup's possible:
  * write a torque submit filter that adds -W or -A, But to my knowledge
the  submit filter does not work for batch jobs that are submitted via qsub -I

  * In maui:
     USERCFG[bas] QDEF=SARA
     QOSCFG[SARA] FSTARGET=80.0
  But this is not very scalable. Every time a new user is added we have to
  restart Maui and generate a line as above.

  * Are there other solutions possible?

What i am thinking about is to patch Maui, like the way Torque has done it
with the acl_group_sloppy paramter or patch Torque to send also the
secondary groups of user.

regards,