[torqueusers] lab setup

Miles O'Neal meo at intrinsity.com
Thu Aug 23 10:35:40 MDT 2007

nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com said...

|Sounds like what you actually want is to have a single server and setup
|all of the nodes as submission hosts.  Then the cluster behaves as one
|would expect it to, but still allows all users to do whatever they would
|like.

Right.  The main reasons I can think of for having the setup
originally described are:

1) Students need to [learn to] tweak the server and/or scheduler.
2) You want to make sure if someone overloads a server or scheduler
   it doesn't impact anyone else.

Is the goal of this classroom to just cover torque usage,
or does it include torque administration?

The latter does lend itself to the OP's setup. but that setup
also limits experimenting with certain classes multi-node jobs.
If you really need that, you might also want to consider running
a single master than can access several systems to teach that
aspect of things.  If there's no additional hardware, perhaps you
can run two moms on each system, with the second on a different
port for the multi-client server.  I haven't tried that, so I
don't know how feasible that is.

-Miles
--
Miles O'Neal