[torqueusers] warning signals

scoggins jscoggins at lbl.gov
Tue Aug 14 16:05:14 MDT 2007

In sge the -notify is explained as follows:

-notify
               Available for qsub, qsh, qrsh, qlogin and qalter only.

               This flag, when set causes Grid Engine to send
"warning" signals to
               a running job prior to sending the signals themselves.
If a SIGSTOP
               is  pending  the  job will receive a SIGUSR1 several
seconds before
               the SIGSTOP. If a SIGKILL is pending the job will
receive a SIGUSR2
               several  seconds  before  the SIGKILL.  The amount of
time delay is
               controlled by the notify parameter in each queue
configuration (see
               queue_conf(5)).

               Note,  that  the  Linux operating system "misuses" the
user signals
               SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 in its current Posix thread
implementation. You
               might  not  want  to  use  the  -notify  option  if
you are running
               threaded applications in your jobs under Linux.

               Qalter allows changing this option even while the job
executes.

and the users want to know if this feature is available in torque/
maui and if so how do they use it.

Thanks

Jackie