[torqueusers] processor allocation help

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Tue Aug 14 14:16:00 MDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 04:06:33PM -0400, Troy Baer wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 15:54 -0400, Aaron Knister wrote:
> > With Sun's Grid engine you can request x number of processors for a job
> > and it will allocate them anywhere, on any system. Is there a way to do
> > this with torque?
>
> That depends on what scheduler you use.  I don't believe the built-in
> pbs_sched that comes with TORQUE will do this; however, I believe Maui
> will do it if JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY is set to EXACTPROC, as will Moab.

JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY must be unset for this to work. If it is unset, then
-l nodes=x
will do what you want.

I very much hope that one of the next torque versions in the near future
will introduce a "-l proc=x" syntax that will enable this functionality
regardless of the setting of the JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY parameter.

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Siegert
Head, Research Computing
Burnaby, British Columbia                  email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6

Note: SFU has new phone numbers!
      Please use the new numbers listed above from now on.