[torqueusers] pam_pbssimpleauth error message for users

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Aug 13 11:50:43 MDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 09:18:49AM -0400, Prakash Velayutham alleged:
> Hello,
>
> I am successfully using the pam_pbssimpleauth module for controlling
> access to compute nodes. Could Garrick or someone here tell me if
> there is a way to convey an error (or warning) to the user that he is
> not able to login because he does not have a job running in the node?
> That would be very useful as I would hate to explain to every single
> user the same thing.
>
> If I can in some way help with implementing this support, I would be
> happy to do it. I would just need some initial help from someone who
> knows what he is doing.

Typically, you don't tell people *why* they can't login to a host.  That would
be considered too much information to an attacker; so this isn't a change I'd
want to add to torque.

But if you want to do it yourself, there should be a pam_*() call to message
the user that you could add to the end of pam_sm_authenticate()