[torqueusers] Torque and Propack 5 cpusets.

Thomas Zeiser thomas.zeiser at rrze.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Aug 8 07:49:16 MDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 02:37:07PM +0100, Rushton Martin wrote:
> The following describes how I currently have the machine:
>
> 	# cpuset -r -s /		# Show the cpusets from root down.
> 	/
> 	/batch
> 	/boot
> 	# cpuset -d /		# Show the script to make root.
> 	cpu_exclusive
> 	mem_exclusive
> 	cpus 0-63
> 	mems 0-31
> 	# cpuset -d /boot		# Interactive work and daemons in here
> 	cpus 2-9
> 	mems 1-31
> 	# cpuset -d /batch
> 	cpu_exclusive		# The cpus cannot be shared.
> 	cpus 10-63
> 	mems 1-31
>
> The root cpuset is the default.  The boot cpuset is created
> during boot as per the documentation.  The batch cpuset is
> created by the enclosed file which is kept in /etc/init.d.
> Please note that this is a work in progress, if you use or copy
> any part of it, it is AT YOUR OWN RISK.  The three suse.pbs_???
> scripts are the ones out of the torque distribution, with minor
> changes to make them run on my machine.  I'm currently rewriting
> four scripts to be more robust and LSB compliant.
>
> You can check that all is well by cat'ing /dev/cpuset/batch/tasks, you should see the PIDs of mom, sched and server listed there.

the big question is whether an individual CPUset is created by
pbs_mom for each job or not. Reserving some dedicated resources for
system processes or interactive work of course is a first step -
but what you usually want are dedicated resources (in terms of
fixed CPUs and fixed "local" memory) for all individual PBS jobs.
It's not clear to me if (how) you configured the latter or not.
torque-2.2-(snapshots) might be able to do that somehow ...

Regards,

thomas