[torqueusers] Torque and Propack 5 cpusets.

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Wed Aug 8 06:48:30 MDT 2007

> We run SLES 9 SP3, with PP4, SP3 on our Altix.  I'm using cpusets
> in a simple manner.  During boot an init script checks for the
> presence of the /batch cpuset, and if missing creates it.  The
> three daemons (mom, server and sched) are then started within the
> cpuset, and will therefore create all children within it unless
> otherwise directed.
We have a similar situation and we would love to see how you do
this,  would you be willing to provide the script that does this?  We
have a even smaller box (32 cpu) and if I understand cpusets enough,
doing this would protect interactive use (2 cpus and some memory)
from being hammered by out of control batch jobs.  We currently just
have maui kill jobs that run over requested memory.

Hope you can help us out!  Thank you

Brock Palen
Center for Advanced Computing
brockp at umich.edu