[torqueusers] curious qstat behaviour with Torque

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Tue Aug 7 22:35:49 MDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, SCIPIONI Roberto wrote:

> I have a Linux Cluster with Xeon Intel CPUs and Intel compiler +
> LAM MPI
>
> It works fine but, I have noticed that for some codes when I use
> qstat I get a small Time Use while when I use
>
> qstat -u username
>
> it gives the right Elapsed times
>
> I know basically these are different times which are probably read
> in different places  but
>
> Why doesnt qstat update the time
>
> I am using parallel jobs but the cluster does NOT have a shared
> directory system

When you built LAM did you tell it to use Torque's TM API ?

If so, have you checked that your LAM jobs are using the TM API to
boot and start ?

I believe that if you're not using that then it will fall back to
ssh/rsh and then Torque cannot track the usage very well as it cannot
track all the processes on the nodes correctly.

cheers,
Chris