[torqueusers] Privileged port usage

Laurence Dawson larry.dawson at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Apr 26 12:52:08 MDT 2007

As we have been debugging some RMFailure problems, we noticed that
torque has been allocated ports in the <1024 range for connections to
the moms at port 15002. We don't know whether this is a problem or not,
but it seems strange. Does anyone know why this might be happening.
Is there anyone else out there that sees this occurring? We do run
pbs_server as root. We are running  moab-4.5.0p4 and torque-2.1.0p0.

[root at vmpsched log]# netstat -a | grep 15002

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:697
vmp366:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:690
vmp347:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:664
vmp301:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:658
vmp149:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:755
vmp100:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:kerberos-iv
vmp130:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:kerberos_master
vmp301:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:723
vmp130:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:624
vmp366:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:603
vmp347:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:916
vmp301:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:829
vmp301:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:810
vmp130:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:784
vmp366:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:842
vmp100:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:837
vmp130:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:698
vmp303:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:645
vmp060:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:757
vmp364:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:732
vmp060:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:625
vmp109:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:626
vmp018:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:957
vmp128:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:943
vmp322:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:926
vmp128:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:914
vmp322:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:962
vmp109:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:826
vmp322:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:793
vmp364:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:785
vmp303:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:880
vmp364:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:869
vmp128:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:855
vmp322:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:844
vmp364:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:838
vmp128:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:690
vmp191:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:678
vmp020:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:648
vmp362:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:644
vmp058:15002                TIME_WAIT

tcp        0      0 vmpsched:webster
vmp020:15002                TIME_WAIT

and many more :
[root at vmpsched log]# netstat -a | grep 15002 | wc

   1752   10512  155928