[torqueusers] Problem starting pbs_server

Garrick Staples garrick at clusterresources.com
Fri Apr 13 11:17:20 MDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 03:56:58PM +0100, Anthony Pemberton alleged:
> Hi folks,
>

> I am new to using Torque. I am having a problem restarting the
> pbs_server deamon after a problem with too many jobs being scheduled. At
> least that is what I think the problem was. When I try to restart (I
> have tried a reboot of the server node) the pbs_server with:
>

> service pbs_server start
>

> I get the response:
>

> Starting TORQUE server:
>

> But then I just get a hang. There are a number of related processed
> started:
>
> /bin/sh /sbin/service pbs_server start
>
> /bin/sh /etc/init.d/pbs_server start
>
> initlog -q -c /usr/sbin/pbs_server -t create
>
> /usr/sbin/pbs_server -t create
>

> Any ideas as to how I can restart the server properly?

Since pbs_server is being started with "-t create", it is probably
trying to prompt you about recovering jobs.

I'd kill off all processes and, if you need to actually create a new
serverdb, run it once manually.

It is unclear to me at this point why you are want to create a new
serverdb.