[torqueusers] jobs with nodes=x x>1 are packing on single node

P Spencer Davis psdavis at bsu.edu
Thu Apr 12 14:57:16 MDT 2007

Hi,
    In a nutshell, I'm trying to configure Torque(2.1.6)/Maui(3.2.6p19)
so that jobs will be spread over multiple nodes instead of bunched up on
a single node.

Currently when I submit

echo "cat $PBS_NODESFILE" | qsub -l nodes=4

I get back something like this

n31
n31
n31
n31

I've tried a variety of options in my maui.cfg file, such as setting the
BACKFILLPOLICY to NONE (no effect) and NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY to
MAXBALANCE (which caused jobs requesting more than one node/cpu to
hang), but honestly I'm not even sure that was the right place to start
after reading some of the previous posts around this same topic.

Any ideas on what needs to be tweaked?

                        Spencer Davis

Qmgr: list server
Server xxx.xxx.xxx
         server_state = Active
         scheduling = True
         total_jobs = 11
         state_count = Transit:0 Queued:0 Held:0 Waiting:0 Running:11
Exiting:0
         managers = xxx at xxx.xxx.xxx,
         operators = xxx at xxxx.xxx.xxx
         default_queue = batch