[torqueusers] Re: Re: Job output files not being copied to

Luke Scharf lscharf at vt.edu
Fri Apr 6 09:10:37 MDT 2007

SCIPIONI Roberto wrote:
> Hi guys perhaps it is a stupid question
>
> But how do  I give a name to a node ?
>
> the IP addess 192.168.0.101 works if I use
>
> ssh
>
> but if I try
>
> ssh slavenode1      (which is the name of the machine when I connect with IP address)
>
> it does not work

You need to learn about mechanisms for translating names into IP
addresses.  This is a fundamentals of systems administration kind of
topic; this stuff is fun to talk about, but there is a lot of
information.  It is probably off-topic for this listserv.

Anyway, one way to map a name to an IP address is the /etc/hosts file,
but you sometimes have to distribute/synchronize the data to each and
every machine that needs to know a particular name:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

Another good way is DNS:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

Also, network information servers like NIS and LDAP can hold name-data
that Unix clients can reference as well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Directory_Access_Protocol
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Information_Service

The O'Reilly Press (http://www.oreilly.com/, Tim O'Reilly, who is a
geek-celebrity but who should not be confused with the TV personality
who has a similar last name!) has many good books on these kinds of
topics.  Here are a couple of titles that are worth considering:
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/esa3/
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tcp3/

I hope this helps,
-Luke