[torqueusers] Re: NFS installed Torque/PBS ... security issues ...

Jerry Smith jdsmit at sandia.gov
Wed Sep 27 10:03:40 MDT 2006

>> We run from NFS to avoid rpm/build conflicts on nodes that may need to be
>> rebuilt due to hardware failure / OS problems.
>
> Last time I checked, the TORQUE package was a tarball; it shouldn't
> interfere with your [rpm-deb-etc.] package database.

We previously made binary RPMS from the tarballs, and had problems with
adding and removing the correct sets during upgrades.

I know there are sites what use the RPM rolls,  ie   OSCAR and ROCKS.

>> It also helps when upgrading.
>
> Absolutely. It's certainly more work keeping local copies correct on
> every node. I've ran into problems in the past where - for example a
> node would be down while I upgraded TORQUE on the other nodes (need to
> keep notes on the "one-off" nodes and individually fix them afterwards).
> Human/non-automated work. Error-prone.
>
> You mentioned a node count in the thousands. I might feel differently
> about local installations at that scale :-)  My environment is a few
> hundred nodes.
>

>> We also keep configuration files in a common NFS area, files like:
>> pbs_mom/config
>> prologue/epilogue
>> pbs_environment
>> server
>>

> I do the same, but the clients aren't actually NFS mounting the config
> files.

Oops sorry for the lack of information, we use symlinks to here as well in
our node images.  Our nodes mount a common /apps directory and we link into
that space from $PBS_HOME/mom_priv etc...

 -Jerry