[torqueusers] running matlab distributed computing toolbox jobs through Torque?

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 20 13:54:24 MDT 2006

We have a need here to use a product called Matlab DCT or distributed computing toolbox
on our cluster. The product from Mathworks includes it's own proprietary scheduler but we
need to implement running jobs through our existing Moab/Torque setup rather than with
their packaged scheduler. Now Mathworks supplied some VERY minimal instructions on
how to get this to work with other scheduler environments (they don't make the distinction
between a scheduler and a resource manager) but the supplied examples/instructions
are very minimal and quite cryptic. These examples sort of cover getting it to work with
LSF, PBSPro (using job arrays), and SGE.

Has anyone else here had any experience with this product? I am referring to Matlab DCT
rather than the more generic Matlab product suite.

Any help or hints on making this function in a moab/torque environment would be most
appreciated. The documentation they provide says there has to be a submit function on
the client end and a worker decode function on the compute node end. I have those
example submit and worker decode functions but they seem to be basic but incomplete
templates rather than functional examples.
--
Steven A. DuChene