[torqueusers] question on memory allocation

Lippert, Kenneth B. Kenneth.Lippert at alcoa.com
Thu Oct 26 12:24:20 MDT 2006

Quick question:

 I put memory requirements ala' "-l mem=1gb" in all of my job scripts.

When Torque/Maui is deciding where to send the job, does it look at the
ACTUAL free physical memory available on the nodes, or does it look at
the memory on each node minus the sum of the  "mem" values of the jobs
already running on that node ?  (all the nodes have several np's, from 2
to 8)

If my memory estimates were exact it wouldn't matter, but they aren't.
I have to estimate a little high, so if the algorithm is the latter,
Torque could be thinking a node was "full" when it really wasn't.

Looking at the documentation, I am thinking it is the first way, but I
want to be sure.

Thanks very much.

-k