[torqueusers] command line parameters

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Thu Oct 19 11:52:12 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 16:40 +0100, Craig Macdonald wrote:
> > > In the past I have been using this kind of syntax
> > > with SGE but actually it seems not to be possible
> > > in TORQUE.
> <snip>
> > Arguments aren't in the Batch Services specification, <snip>
> Yes, according to
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/utilities/qsub.html
> I presume.
> I just downloaded SGE and checked the qsub man page - command line
> arguments are passed to the script.
> Surely this would be fairly straightforward to provide? Take a copy the
> remaining contents of argv and pass when the script is run? A clunky
> option would be for qsub to put the args in a specially-names environment
> variable for the purposes of pbs_server. The pbs_mom would know how to
> process this specially named env variable.
> As current qsub wont accept any parameters after the job file anyway this
> is a backwardly compatable change. It has the added bonus of minimising
> any user noticable incompatabilities between SGE and Torque.

A potential problem with this is that there are three different shell
startup options in TORQUE (--enable-shell-pipe [default], --disable-
shell-pipe, and --enable-shell-use-argv), and I'm not sure that this
feature could be made to work with all three of them without some
seriously ugly hacks.f them without some ugly hacks.

Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701