[torqueusers] command line parameters

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Thu Oct 19 11:52:12 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 16:40 +0100, Craig Macdonald wrote:
> > > In the past I have been using this kind of syntax
> > > with SGE but actually it seems not to be possible
> > > in TORQUE.
> <snip>
> > Arguments aren't in the Batch Services specification, <snip>
>
> Yes, according to
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/utilities/qsub.html
> I presume.
>
> I just downloaded SGE and checked the qsub man page - command line
> arguments are passed to the script.
>
> Surely this would be fairly straightforward to provide? Take a copy the
> remaining contents of argv and pass when the script is run? A clunky
> option would be for qsub to put the args in a specially-names environment
> variable for the purposes of pbs_server. The pbs_mom would know how to
> process this specially named env variable.
>
> As current qsub wont accept any parameters after the job file anyway this
> is a backwardly compatable change. It has the added bonus of minimising
> any user noticable incompatabilities between SGE and Torque.

A potential problem with this is that there are three different shell
startup options in TORQUE (--enable-shell-pipe [default], --disable-
shell-pipe, and --enable-shell-use-argv), and I'm not sure that this
feature could be made to work with all three of them without some
seriously ugly hacks.f them without some ugly hacks.

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701