[torqueusers] resources_default on routing queues?

Ramon Bastiaans bastiaans at sara.nl
Wed Oct 11 06:21:21 MDT 2006

Yes that would be what I really want, but the problem here is 3rd party
software. Our cluster is connected to the EGEE grid, where users submit
to specific queues (with certain default lengths).

Walltime specification is not mandatory in their middleware and
currently they do not seem very eager to change that.

Now specifying extra routing queues with some sets of default resources
would still allow for some semi-efficient scheduling rather than having
all gridjobs run with the same 24h walltime. And also to reintegrate the
grid jobs with our existing queues for local users.

So my hands are a little tied here I'm afraid.. ;/

- Ramon.

Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 10:42:43AM +0200, Ramon Bastiaans alleged:
>> Is there any way to get resources_default settings applied to jobs when
>> entering a routing queue and retaining those resources while entering
>> the next execution queue?
>>
>> I have created a extra routing queue, in which I want all jobs that are
>> submitted there to have a specific default walltime and enter the
>> correct execution queue accordingly.
>>
>> However it doesn't seem to work and the jobs still end up with the first
>> execution queues resource defaults. I have tried enabling:
>>
>> set server queue_centric_limits = True
>>
>> But it still does not work as I would expect it.
>>
>> Anyone have any tips on how to achieve this?
>
> No, there is currently no way to do this.
>
> What you really want to do is get the users to specify the appropriate
> walltime, not the appropriate queue, and let the job route to the
> correct queue based on the supplied walltime.
>
> In your example, I'd just make grid_short an execution queue with
> resources_default.neednodes = serial and not worry about the routing.

ing. R. Bastiaans

Systems Programmer / High Performance Computing & Visualisation /
SARA                 Computing and Networking Services
Kruislaan 415        PO Box 194613
1098 SJ Amsterdam    1090 GP Amsterdam
---
There are really only three types of people:

   Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen
   and those who say, "What happened?"