[torqueusers] resources_default on routing queues?

Ramon Bastiaans bastiaans at sara.nl
Fri Oct 6 02:42:43 MDT 2006

Is there any way to get resources_default settings applied to jobs when
entering a routing queue and retaining those resources while entering
the next execution queue?

I have created a extra routing queue, in which I want all jobs that are
submitted there to have a specific default walltime and enter the
correct execution queue accordingly.

However it doesn't seem to work and the jobs still end up with the first
execution queues resource defaults. I have tried enabling:

set server queue_centric_limits = True

But it still does not work as I would expect it.

Anyone have any tips on how to achieve this?

Here is a snap from my pbs config:

create queue grid_short
set queue grid_short queue_type = Route
set queue grid_short acl_host_enable = False
set queue grid_short acl_user_enable = False
set queue grid_short resources_default.ncpus = 1
set queue grid_short resources_default.nodes = 1
set queue grid_short resources_default.walltime = 10:00:00
set queue grid_short route_destinations = batch
set queue grid_short enabled = True
set queue grid_short started = True
#
# Create and define queue batch
#
create queue batch
set queue batch queue_type = Route
set queue batch acl_host_enable = False
set queue batch acl_user_enable = False
set queue batch route_destinations = q_express
set queue batch route_destinations += q_serial
set queue batch route_destinations += q_parallel
set queue batch enabled = True
set queue batch started = True
#
create queue q_express
set queue q_express queue_type = Execution
set queue q_express acl_host_enable = False
set queue q_express acl_user_enable = False
set queue q_express resources_max.nodect = 1
set queue q_express resources_max.walltime = 00:05:00
set queue q_express resources_default.ncpus = 1
set queue q_express resources_default.neednodes = express
set queue q_express resources_default.nodect = 1
set queue q_express resources_default.nodes = 1
set queue q_express acl_group_enable = False
set queue q_express enabled = True
set queue q_express started = True
#
# Create and define queue q_serial
#
create queue q_serial
set queue q_serial queue_type = Execution
set queue q_serial acl_host_enable = False
set queue q_serial resources_max.nodect = 1
set queue q_serial resources_default.ncpus = 1
set queue q_serial resources_default.neednodes = serial
set queue q_serial resources_default.nodect = 1
set queue q_serial resources_default.nodes = 1
set queue q_serial resources_default.walltime = 00:01:00
set queue q_serial enabled = True
set queue q_serial started = True
#
# Create and define queue q_parallel
#
create queue q_parallel
set queue q_parallel queue_type = Execution
set queue q_parallel acl_host_enable = False
set queue q_parallel resources_min.nodect = 2
set queue q_parallel resources_default.neednodes = infiniband
set queue q_parallel resources_default.nodect = 2
set queue q_parallel resources_default.walltime = 00:01:00
set queue q_parallel enabled = True
set queue q_parallel started = True

How I would imagine this (and what I want it to) work:
1. qsub -qgrid_short -lnodes=1
2. job enters queue grid_short, gets walltime set to 10 hours
3. job enters queue batch
4. job enters queue q_serial

But it still ends up as a express job with 5 minutes walltime.

Cheers,
- Ramon.
--
ing. R. Bastiaans

Systems Programmer / High Performance Computing & Visualisation /
SARA                 Computing and Networking Services
Kruislaan 415        PO Box 194613
1098 SJ Amsterdam    1090 GP Amsterdam
---
There are really only three types of people:

   Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen
   and those who say, "What happened?"