[torqueusers] Maui and consumable resources?

Chris Wilk chris.wilk at gridwisetech.com
Thu Oct 5 03:48:37 MDT 2006

Dear all,

Let me rephrase my previous post to mauiusers mailing list.

We use Torque (2.1.2) and fake 2 CPUs execution nodes e.g.

server_priv/nodes:
------------------
therion np=2 therion
------------------

On every node two jobs are allowed to run at once. Every job needs
exclusive access to one of two hardware devices. Each hardware device is
capable of handling one application (job) at once.

We use Maui (3.2.6p16) and node-locked generic consumable resources to
make sure only one job per one hardware device is allowed to run.

maui.cfg:
------------------
NODECFG[therion]    GRES=hardware1:1,hardware2:1
------------------

Finally, we request  these resources via appropriate submit command:

$ qsub -l nodes=therion,other=hardware1 job.sh
$ qsub -l nodes=therion,other=hardware1 job.sh

Two jobs were accepted and started running. It would be nice if the
latter would be rejected or queued instead.

We have also tried "-W x='GRES=resource1'" syntax. It did not work for
us either.

We have tried using maui-3.2.6p16-snap.1157560841 (latest snapshot). It
did not help.

Are we doing something wrong? What should we do in order to use
consumable generic resources?

Thanks a lot for any hint or clue,

Best,
Chris
Chris Wilk                            chris.wilk at gridwisetech.com
Senior Consultant

GridwiseTech                          office/fax: +48 12 294 71 20