[torqueusers] Queue configuration question

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Wed Oct 4 10:57:24 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 09:36 -0700, scoggins wrote:
> I have a cluster and I want to have interactive queues and batch
> queues.  I am running torque-1.2.0p2-1.caos and I have the following
> queue configuration:

> What I want is the following behavior to occur:
>
> qsub -I <script>        Goes to the interactive queue by default
> qsub <script>            WIll go to the batch queues - geophys or
> geochem  which ever one is specified in the script to run on.
>
> The only queue that has limits is interactive.  I want the routing
> queue to be able to submit all interactive jobs to the interactive
> queue and only allow batch (non-interactive) jobs to run on the other
> queues.
>
> Please advice.  Any help will be appreciated.

I don't think that's possible with TORQUE currently -- AFAIK, it's not
possible to use whether a job is interactive or not to make a queue
routing decision.  That being said, people ask me for something like
that on a regular basis, and it *would* be a very handy feature to have.
For example:

# to enable
qmgr: set queue myqueue interactive = ( True | False )

# to disable
qmgr: unset queue myqueue interactive

The default should be that a queue will accept both interactive and non-
interactive jobs.  I have no idea how easy/hard it would be to
implement, though.

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701