[torqueusers] qsub rules for converting partial job ids?

Garrick Staples garrick at clusterresources.com
Thu Nov 30 12:57:57 MST 2006

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 10:29:58AM -0800, Michael Durket alleged:
> If you submit a script to PBS with the command
>
>     qsub -q at abc.com
>
> with no other options, and if, within that script
> there is the PBS directive:
>
>   #PBS -W depend="afterok:5"
>
> to what server should the "5" be bound? The default
> PBS server or the one specified in the -q option?
>
> qsub (eventually) in processing this statement in the
> script calls get_server(). get_server in the module
> comments refers to section 5.1.2 of the ERS indicating
> the steps for determining the server in the case where
> a job id does not contain a server name. But this description
> seems to apply only to "requests" not directive options.
>
> It appears (from the logic flow in qsub.c) that the job id
> "5" will be resolved to the default PBS server name and not
> the server name specified on the qsub command line because
> the destination specified in the -q option is processed after
> the script has been read and the job id in the depend list
> converted.
>
> Is this the intended behavior, implying that in a multiple
> server environment one must fully-qualify all jobids in
> all scripts?

I haven't tried this, but I'm pretty sure the depend stuff isn't really
parsed by qsub, it just gets sent to the server along with the job.  So
in this example, the pbs_server on abc.com would be parsing "afterok:5"
as you would expect.

Have you actually tried it and it doesn't work?